Wednesday, June 27, 2012

After Heroes Con

At the moment I've got one Artist Proof commission I need to complete from the Marvel's Greatest Heroes trading card set but otherwise I'm taking some time here after Heroes to concentrate on a couple of key things with my drawings:
  • Anatomy
  • Proportions
  • "Tight" pencils
I'm always wanting to improve on the first two things for sure, and want to make sure as I continue to draw that certain things just become automatic but the third - 'tight' pencils, I also want to improve on. 

When working on trading cards, my pencils tend to stay more rough - I tighten up certain areas, like the faces, to make sure everything stays clean and where I want it during inking, but the rest of the figure stays kind of loose.  But by tightening up a little, I'll be able to define certain aspects of anatomy more clearly so I don't lose them when it comes to inking and coloring.

Also, I recall a few specific requests for pieces I didn't have at Heroes Con that several folks asked for during the course of the weekend.  Here's one for example I'm working on now that I got several requests for if I had any on hand: Vampirella

Again as I stated on my Facebook page with the Lady Death picture - I've never really drawn the 'bad girls' of comics so both the Lady Death and now this Vampirella are new for me.

There was specifically one individual who stopped by who was more comfortable seeing a completed piece vs. commissioning a drawing at the con and that's fine - as a visual person myself I completely understand.

I'll be continuing to work on the 3 elements listed above on this piece and when finished will be 11x14 in size.  At this point pencils are close to being finished.

Once it's done I'll likely make it available for purchase, or available at the next convention I attend, but that will probably be in the fall sometime I would expect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment